1. Tell us something hardly anyone knows about you.
I have seven big brothers and sisters – five brothers, two sisters. Seven of the eight work in the education system.
2. What is your nickname?
Bood. It is my Indigenous name that Family has called me my whole life.
4. Describe your writing style in 10 words.
Honest, passionate, knowledgeable words of unity we need to share.
5. Tell us five positive words that describe you as a writer.
Impassioned, heartfelt, emotional, hopeful and unifying.
6. What book character would you be, and why?
The Rainbow Serpent. Strong powerful and magical.
7. If you could time travel, what year would you go to and why?
Back to when the first land ‘ownership’ of Europe began. I would implore them to understand that we are a part of the land just like the plants and animals. It should not be ours to acquire, seize, control, fence, fight over, exploit and destroy.
8. What would your 10-year-old self say to you now?
Keep enjoying yourself whilst standing up for what is right.
9. Who is your greatest influence?
My late but great Uncle Reg Knox. A storyteller, an artist, an Elder; a caring, charismatic gentleman who educated with style and a smile.
10. What/who made you start writing?
Uncle Reg could always captivate an audience and remind people of our wonderfully wise culture.
11. What is your favourite word and why?
Wantima – it is an Aboriginal word from many Nations that means ‘Rise Up’. I love it because being ‘your’ best is better than being ‘the’ best.
12. If you could only read one book for the rest of your life, what would it be?
I can’t go past this thought… A ‘Magic Book’ that could change its story every time you were ready to be filled with more exciting stories encapsulating the never-ending wonders of a multitude of authors’ imaginations.
Gregg Dreise is a gifted artist, storyteller, author, illustrator and musician, and he features the didgeridoo and guitar in his high-energy performances. He uses music and laughter to take audiences on a storytelling journey – that just might sneak in a lesson or two. Common Wealth is the latest book Gregg has written and illustrated – a Slam Poetry Persuasive about change and unity. For more information, see www.greggdreise.com.au.
July 6, 2021 at 12:35AM Penny